Surface mount technology components, or SMTs, have a lot of advantages over traditional thru-hole components. There are, however, some disadvantages that you should be aware of too. Let’s take a closer look at some of these surface mount technology advantages and disadvantages.
Valley Services Electronics
Silicon Valley’s Premier Electronic and PCB Assembly Blog
As we have seen with the need to rapidly design and deploy new medical equipment to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, there is more pressure now to hasten medical equipment development. At the same time, there is still the need to satisfy the testing, documentation, and regulatory requirements of manufacturing medical electronics.
when it comes to sourcing parts for your printed circuit board, there is a difference between who you buy from there as well. Let’s take a look at some of the differences between domestic sourcing vs international sourcing in the components you need for your PCB builds.
If you work with a reputable and experienced manufacturer, you’ll have access to a broader range of standard PCB sizes than 1.57 mm. If you need a customized board thickness with precisely controlled laminate thickness for controlled impedance, a reputable manufacturer can give you access to a range of laminate options for your custom stackup.
Each of these areas must be carefully managed in order to assure that the parts needed for building your board are there when the board goes into manufacturing. Let’s take a closer look at these five areas of concern for supply chain management in the electronics industry.
Some materials and components will more stringent shelf-life specifications than others. If those specifications aren’t followed, it could result in a lot of problems with the production of the board. Here is some more information on the shelf life of printed circuit boards as well as their building materials and components, and how your contract manufacturer should be working with them.
- The Top 5 PCB Assembly Cost Drivers That Could Impact Your Project
- POC vs. MVP vs. Prototype: Understanding What You Need for Your Next Electronics NPI
- Choosing a CM For Lead Free PCB Manufacturing
- How to Handle Electronics Component Shortages
- The Importance of Designing for EMI/EMC Standards for Automotive Electronics
- 7 Advantages of Third Party Contract Manufacturing
- How to Manage PCB Component Supply During Covid-19
- 5 EMI/EMC Design Considerations for Optimal PCB Manufacturing
- The Top Six PCB Quality Control Methods of the Best CMs
- Cutting Edge Technology in Healthcare (and the PCBs Powering Them)