PCB repair functions much in the same way: given a large enough production lot or a long field life, a board will inevitably need maintenance. Rework before field usage is also critical, and some amount during manufacturing is always expected. In either case, technicians should be able to identify some of the common modes of failure for PCBs to more quickly and effectively reduce downtime for boards and return them to operation.
The RoHS requirements restricted the use of certain toxic materials during manufacturing, forcing changes in processes, materials, and components used in building electronics. Although this was a difficult change to incorporate, it has since been accomplished successfully by many PCB contract manufacturers. Here, we’ll look at the RoHS PCB manufacturing requirements in place today and how PCB CMs work with these regulations in producing circuit boards.
Quality management systems (QMS) and other PCB certifications will provide customers and partners with the faith that an operation complies with current industry standards and grants operations the knowledge and training to reduce scrap and rework and save on costs.
For those of us that spend most of our time working on schematics and layouts within the virtual world of CAD tools, soldering gives us a chance to interact with the actual hardware of our designs. However, soldering components on a circuit board must be done correctly to avoid problems that could affect the performance of the board or outright damage it. Here is a basic guide of best practices that engineers should know for through-hole soldering.
Heat is the expected by-product of a normal functioning circuit board. But if heat isn’t carefully planned for during its design, the PCB may have problems during its manufacturing and operational performance. Here we’ll take a look at PCB thermal resistance and conductivity and see how good thermal management is ultimately essential to the success of the circuit board.
Need a hand with a current or future PCBA project? Find out what a difference VSE’s experts can make.
- PCB Repair: Common Breaks and How to Fix Them
- How Do the RoHS PCB Requirements Change the Production Process
- What PCB Certifications Should You Look for in Your Manufacturing Partner
- High Current PCB Design Best Practices
- Through-Hole Soldering: A Guide to the Best Practices
- Understanding PCB Thermal Resistance and its Importance in the Design Process
- Why PCB Thermal Conductivity is Important
- Best Practices for PCB Soldering Techniques
- Choosing the Best PCB Material for Your Project
- Requirements for Manufacturing a PCB for Medical Devices