Thankfully, electronic CAD tools have numerous standard features to create redundancies that minimize errors during all stages of PCB design. These integrated suites help streamline design flow from schematic capture to documentation to fabrication and assembly through many clever and common functions. The following features will form part of the indispensable aid that electronic CAD applications offer designers to ensure designs meet their intended specifications at the outset.
Successfully navigating the semiconductor chip supply chain shortage requires a different set of skills than what PCB design groups have traditionally had to wield. Here are some ideas that your design group may want to consider to work around these supply chain difficulties.
Building a printed circuit board requires a lot of data and information for your manufacturers. A circuit board is first fabricated, where the layers of dielectric material and metal interconnects are laminated together and then assembled where the components are soldered into place. Finally, the board will be fully tested before being shipped back to the customer who ordered it.
With the number of files associated with a PCB design, it is easy to get confused and lose track of which files are current and what they contain. It is important to develop a naming system that is easy to understand and use, especially with the image files, more commonly known as Gerber data to prevent any confusion. Here are some recommendations for Gerber file names that can help keep your manufacturing data clean and up-to-date.
Meticulous planning has also become essential when designing a new circuit board. Due to the current state of the electronic component supply chain, the confidence we once had in the availability of the necessary parts for our electronics has all but disappeared. Creating a new design today for long-term production requires specific and detailed strategies. Here are some ideas on PCB design BOM planning methods to help you avoid component shortages in your next electronics project.
Need a hand with a current or future PCBA project? Find out what a difference VSE’s experts can make.
- PCB Repair: Common Breaks and How to Fix Them
- How Do the RoHS PCB Requirements Change the Production Process
- What PCB Certifications Should You Look for in Your Manufacturing Partner
- High Current PCB Design Best Practices
- Through-Hole Soldering: A Guide to the Best Practices
- Understanding PCB Thermal Resistance and its Importance in the Design Process
- Why PCB Thermal Conductivity is Important
- Best Practices for PCB Soldering Techniques
- Choosing the Best PCB Material for Your Project
- Requirements for Manufacturing a PCB for Medical Devices