Surface mount technology components, or SMTs, have a lot of advantages over traditional thru-hole components. There are, however, some disadvantages that you should be aware of too. Let’s take a closer look at some of these surface mount technology advantages and disadvantages.
As we have seen with the need to rapidly design and deploy new medical equipment to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, there is more pressure now to hasten medical equipment development. At the same time, there is still the need to satisfy the testing, documentation, and regulatory requirements of manufacturing medical electronics.
when it comes to sourcing parts for your printed circuit board, there is a difference between who you buy from there as well. Let’s take a look at some of the differences between domestic sourcing vs international sourcing in the components you need for your PCB builds.
If you work with a reputable and experienced manufacturer, you’ll have access to a broader range of standard PCB sizes than 1.57 mm. If you need a customized board thickness with precisely controlled laminate thickness for controlled impedance, a reputable manufacturer can give you access to a range of laminate options for your custom stackup.
Each of these areas must be carefully managed in order to assure that the parts needed for building your board are there when the board goes into manufacturing. Let’s take a closer look at these five areas of concern for supply chain management in the electronics industry.
Some materials and components will more stringent shelf-life specifications than others. If those specifications aren’t followed, it could result in a lot of problems with the production of the board. Here is some more information on the shelf life of printed circuit boards as well as their building materials and components, and how your contract manufacturer should be working with them.
Need a hand with a current or future PCBA project? Find out what a difference VSE’s experts can make.
- Common Printed Circuit Board Problems: Components
- PCB Grounding in Mixed-Signal Design Expectations
- Common Printed Circuit Board Problems: Design
- Mixed-Signal Power Supply Design Considerations
- Why Being a PCB Program Manager is a Top PCB Industry Job
- Seven Benefits of Reshoring Electronic Manufacturing
- What is Trace Width in PCB Layout?
- Become a Bay Area Sales Representative for PCB and Electronics Manufacturing
- RF Design Guidelines: PCB Layout and Circuit Optimization
- Design Your Product for Manufacturability and High Quality with DfMA